Home » Archive

Articles in the 4 Books Category

4 Books, 5 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Brand New On The Bookshelf, Children's, Children's Books, Contest, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Middle Grade, Mystery/Suspense, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff »

[4 Mar 2014 | 6 Comments | ]
Secrets, Spies & Sherlock Blog Tour

Welcome to Day 7 of the SECRETS, SPIES & SHERLOCK BLOG TOUR, featuring two exciting new middle grade mystery series: Sherlock, Lupin & Me: The Dark Lady by Irene Adler and Secrets & Spies: Treason by Jo Macauley. Each stop on the 2-week tour will feature fun posts and a chance to win a set of finished copies of the books!  Today’s post features The Dark Lady by Irene Adler.

4 Books, Contemporary, Fiction, Gaby, Genre, Headline, New Adult, Paranormal, Reviews, Romance, Score, Staff »

[9 Dec 2013 | No Comment | ]
Heart Breaths by K.K.Hendin

“New Adult” is a frustrating genre for me.  Since I am an “older” Young Adult reader.  A genre that focuses on more mature characters sounds really appealing.   Too frequently, I have found the label “New Adult” meant very violent or highly sexual situations for the older characters.  These two characteristics are the reason I shy away from some of the adult books.  So I have been very picky with what I read in the “New Adult” genre.  I am very pleased to say that Heart Breaths by K.K. Hendin was a pleasant surprise.
The …

4 Books, Fandom, Headline, Melissa, Reviews, Young Adult Books »

[12 Nov 2013 | 6 Comments | ]
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

This book was such a happy surprise.  Although I have read and loved all of Maggie Stiefvater’s books, this latest series was not something that appealed to me from the book blurb.  Fortunately for me, a quick visit to my BFF’s bookshelf, convinced me to give it a chance and I am so glad.  I could not put this book down.  Every twist and turn was a surprise for me.  I can’t figure out where the story is headed and I love that.  The story of Blue and her Raven …

4 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Contest, Fandom, Fantasy, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books »

[5 Oct 2013 | 8 Comments | ]
EXCLUSIVE: Veiled Shadows by Morgan Wylie

EXCLUSIVE: Markings in Alandria
In Alandria, each race of magical beings have a visible mark—a tattoo—that shows itself when the individual comes of age, which is also when their magic reaches its maturity in abilities. The markings all have similar iridescent greenish-blue color for a specific reason (that I can’t tell you yet—Eeek!). Now, of course, most individuals know what race they belong to—it’s not a secret—but it helps to identify between the races. Alandrian markings are called Srontas. There are some other qualities to these markings that will begin to …

4 Books, Blog Tour, Contest, Fantasy, Fiction, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Ratings, Reviews, Science Fiction, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books »

[12 Jun 2013 | No Comment | ]
Blog Tour/Review: One by Leigh Ann Kopans

One, by Leigh Ann Kopans, is a refreshing new young adult novel that twists fantasy and science fiction into a dreamy comic-novel for both guys and gals.  Let me explain, I love the idea of comic book super heroes, but I don’t actually read comics.  I love to watch the Marvel movies, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men… All these men!  While some prefer a lot of action with a sprinkle of plot, One is a great option for the novel reader who wants a dash of superhero.
I read One with the …

4 Books, Blog Tour, Contest, Fandom, Fantasy, Folk/Fairy Tales, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, New Adult, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books »

[15 May 2013 | 2 Comments | ]
Blog Tour/Review: Silent Orchids by Morgan Wylie

I’m am so excited to be a part of the blog tour for Silent Orchids, and I am going to work my review in somewhere!  Today, Morgan Wylie has brought us a fun glimpse of her writing community…
Hello and thank you for having me here today to talk about the importance of community in writing.
I wouldn’t be where I am without community. Writing is a very introverted process and can get lonely especially if there aren’t people around you that understand the journey you are on. Let’s face it, not …

4 Books, Book News, Dystopia, Fandom, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Mystery/Suspense, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books »

[30 Apr 2013 | No Comment | ]

It was a great relief to finally get my hands on The Eternity Cure, by Julie Kagawa. Kagawa definitely knows how to leave the reader hanging, and after reading The Immortal Rules I was itching to find out where Allie would end up. The second novel in The Blood of Eden Series didn’t have as much world building to hash through, and got down to business immediately.  This grabbed me from the first page, and I was hooked all the way to the “end”.
Allie’s story takes a turn in the …

4 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Contest, Fandom, Fiction, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, New Adult, Ratings, Reviews, Romance, Score, Staff »

[27 Apr 2013 | 2 Comments | ]
Blog Tour/Review: VAIN by Fisher Amelie

REVIEW:
Vain, by Fisher Amelie, was a refreshing read for me! Not only was I completely unaware of where the story would lead the main character, but it was also a great change for me in the New Adult genre.  (Side Note: New Adult should NOT translate to smut.) Vain offered a story that was insightful and encouraged self-reflection, but it remained entertaining.
Sophie is annoying for the first few chapters, and I think it helped me appreciate the journey she goes on as well as the changes she makes in her life.  Make …

3 Books, 4 Books, Book News, Fandom, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Video, Young Adult Books »

[29 Mar 2013 | No Comment | ]
A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa M. Basso

A Shimmer of Angels, by Lisa M. Basso, is a refreshing new young adult novel all about a girl named Ray and her ability to see angels in her everyday life.  One reason I love this new paranormal is that Basso doesn’t romanticize Rayna’s life, and her ability to see angels.  Rayna can see both the good and the bad, the black and the white wings… The acting angels and the fallen.
Rayna knows she’s not crazy, but her family can’t help but worry about her and the things that haunt her. When …

4 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Contest, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books »

[9 Mar 2013 | No Comment | ]
Shrapnel by Stephanie Lawton

Shrapnel is a fun, YA paranormal that is filled with ghosts, history, and snarky teens! I really enjoyed Stephanie Lawton’s characters and the pace of the story, and I think you will too!  If you like Maureen Johnson’s The Name of the Star, you’ll love Shrapnel.  I’ve given the novel four books on the bookshelf!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Shrapnel Interview with Stephanie Lawton
#1 If you could choose three historical figures’ ghosts to ‘hang’ with, who would they be, and what would you ask them?
There are so many, but here are the three that float to …