Home » 3 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books

Blog Tour/Review: Inception by Teal Haviland

25 May 2013 2 Comments

Blog Tour Button

Bookshelf Banter is excited to bring you an interview with the main character of Inception, Gabrielle.  I really enjoyed this character, and think you should get to know her before you read Teal Haviland’s debut novel…

1. Can you tell us what it’s like to be the Reaper of Karma?
Honestly, it is a huge burden to be tasked with a job that carries with it such significance whether or not those on the side of Light have success in winning the Great War. But, there is no other job I would rather have. It is a wonderful thing to bring people what they have reaped from those things they’ve sown, whether good or bad, even when it has a negative effect on me personally. I love to reward those who deserve it, but I believe I enjoy punishing the ones who are deserving of bad karma even more.
2. What do you like to do when you’re not ‘working’?
As an angel, I am pretty much always working. On those rare occasions I do get a break, I love the beach and will escape to one that is quiet and tropical.
3. Is there anything from your ‘work’ that bleeds over into your personal life?
Most definitely. Of course, karma directly affects my mood, so if it’s been a good day for karma, my mood is good. If it hasn’t been, and I’ve given out far more bad karma, well . . . let me just say it’s better to leave me alone on those days.
Aside from that, I always carry the worry about whether or not I’m doing a good enough job as The Angel of Karma, because I have to do a good job. If I don’t succeed . . .
4. If you could give humans advice, what would it be?
Listen to what your heart and soul tell you are the right things to do. Not your mind. Your mind can be influenced by Darkness.
5. Do you think your ‘work’ will ever be done? Why or why not?
Yes. It will be done once the Great War is over, either because the side of Light wins and there is no more Darkness to work against, or because Darkness is the victor and I am no more.
The only way my work will not be done if Light wins is if there is a reason Yahuwah decides the position needs to continue because of something he chooses to do concerning Darkness and humans.
Speed Round: If Gabrielle had to pick one, which would it be…
Books or Movies ~ Books
Mountain or Beach ~ Beach
Craft Time or Nap Time ~ Craft time
Sweet or Salty ~ Sweet
Work or Play ~ Work
Couch at Home or Crowd at a Party ~ Home

Now, enter to win some great Reaping Chronicles swag…
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Review:

Let me tell you a little of what I (@KallieRoss) thought of Inception.  This novel is a handful, and I mean that literally.  It is an epic story, and Teal Haviland has taken on the task of writing it as an epic.  I will admit that it took the first 100 pages to really pull me in, but The Host (by Stephenie Meyer) took just as long to get my attention, and it was worth it in the end.  If you love a big, word-filled book, you can’t go wrong.

I honestly thought I would have a bigger problem with the idea of angels and karma mingling with each other.  Teal does a great job of explaining Gabrielle’s position in the first fifty pages, and I didn’t have as much trouble with the word ‘karma’ in association with angels after she thoroughly explained the jobs each angel has (Gabrielle’s specifically).  The foreshadowing is nicely woven into the story, and I loved picking up on things and then being hit with it later in a bigger way.

3books

My only issue with Inception was in it’s epic wordiness.  I felt, at times, that there was unneeded repetition, and if the book was 50-100 pages shorter, I might have enjoyed it even more.  If you love angel books, strong female characters, and thoughtful, descriptive writing, you’ll love Inception by Teal Haviland.  I’m giving it 3 books on the bookshelf!

ABOUT INCEPTION:

The world is in danger. Mankind is sinking deeper into darkness it cannot understand

Demons are easily capturing souls as they lead men and women down dangerous paths from which there is no return, while Javan, one of the Fallen, seeks an ancient book and the power it promises. If he succeeds, humans — and the world as they know it — will be destroyed.

There is someone who is capable of stopping Javan…

If she discovers him in time.

Gabrielle is one of the most powerful angels ever created, her job one of the most important. She has come to Earth to learn more about humans and what influences them, and to fight evil she sees growing at an alarming rate. She soon finds herself carelessly distracted with one human in particular, however. Lucas Watkins holds a promise of peace and love for Gabrielle that she never believed she could have again.

Caught between her new mortal ties and ancient immortal responsibilities, Gabrielle must race against what seems to be an ever-quickening clock to learn what she needs to know, uncover Javan’s plan, and find a way to stop him and all who live in Shadows.

Join Gabrielle and her allies in a story of love — past and present — fantastical beings, hidden realms, magic, fate, loss, and the fight of good versus evil in, The Reaping Chronicles.

TealHavilandABOUT TEAL HAVILAND:

Teal Haviland lives in Tennessee with her daughter and her four-legged friends. She enjoys photography, travel, reading, music, cooking, daydreaming, writing (of course), and above all spending time with her family and friends.

Teal grew up with a love for anything fantastical or outrageous. After years of dreaming of worlds where fairies, angels, demons, and shape shifters (to name a few) exist, she finally decided to begin writing her stories down. Inception, book one in her series The Reaping Chronicles, is her first published novel.

LINKS:

Goodreads author page ~ http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6548857.Teal_Haviland

Goodreads The Reaping Chronicles ~ Inception page ~ http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16067691-inception

Facebook author page ~ https://www.facebook.com/authortealhaviland

Facebook The Reaping Chronicles page ~ https://www.facebook.com/thereapingchronicles

Twitter ~ https://twitter.com/tealhaviland

Author website ~ http://www.tealhaviland.com/

2 Comments »

  • Melanie said:

    I’ve been followIng Teal on fb and wanted to read her debut novel!

  • Toni @ My Book Addiction said:

    Yes, I have been dying to get my hands on this book!