Home » 4 Books, 5 Books, Fantasy, Genre, Historical, Kallieross, Melissa, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

29 March 2012 4 Comments

Grave Mercy (Book I): His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy)

KALLIE’s REVIEW

Grave Mercy, by Robin LaFevers, is a novel that showed no mercy on me, or the life I try to keep scheduled in my calendar.  The heart-pounding adventure and tenuous relationships kept me engrossed in the story and rearranging my life to make more time to read.  I could not put this book down, and finished in two days… And, I’m not talking about a weekend, but two work days!  Lots-o-reading = little-sleep!

Ismae, the main character, is marked by death and given many gifts that help her serve her saint and her country.  The medieval setting, mystery, and betrayal made the intricate storytelling by LaFevers more captivating.  I was enraptured with trying to figure out who would be Ismae’s next victim, as well as with trying to figure out who was committing treason against the duchess.  While hidden stilettos and poisonous pearls are intriguing, I found that the male characters, Gavriel, de  Lornay, and Beast enticing.

I am truly looking forward to the next installment (Book 2) of His Fair Asassins: Dark Triumph, coming in Spring 2013.  I give Grave Mercy 5 books on the bookshelf!

MELISSA’s REVIEW

Ismae escapes a life of abuse to find herself in a convent, training to be the handmaiden to Death.  She has never known the kindness of another, so taking a life to serve her god seems like her destiny.  Ismae quickly has to learn to trust others and to more importantly trust her own instincts as she begins an assignment that could lead to the fall of her country.  As the daughter of a turnip farmer, she is out of her element in a world full of nobility and grace.  She is devoted to her god and to her assignment, but soon learns that evil is not always what it seems and that love and redemption are powerful gifts.Grave Mercy is the starting place for Robin LaFever’s new series, The Fair Assassin.  Anyone who enjoyed the Julia Grey or Pink Carnation novels will fall in love with this book which combines the intrigue and adventure of the of those series with an added magical edge.  I enjoyed every minute of this novel and look forward to seeing what lies ahead for the Fair Assassins.  4 books on the bookshelf

Book Description:
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

4 Comments »

  • social media marketing b2b said:

    Here, in this article; all such thoughts have been summarized
    for you. com, or you’re planning to open one soon, it’s certain that some amount
    of homework will equip any crafter with improved knowledge of their unique niche, value, and target audience.
    On-site Optimisation is also a very important part of SEO process as this process optimise your website up to 30
    to 50%.

    Here is my blog post – social media marketing b2b

  • i grow low level laser said:

    Quite a few treatment centers impose as per the time required each meeting.
    The answer is what type of diet allows you as you age to produce enough hydrochloric acid to digest your food properly so the fermenting food in your stomach doesn’t cause other degenerative
    and inflammatory-related diseases. While you’re trying to restore your
    tresses, try to avoid them.

    Have a look at my homepage … i grow low level laser

  • facial plastic surgeon gainesville ga said:

    Somewhere in the middle is your best option as it is not
    too expensive nor will the surgeon take an excessive amount of time to complete the job.

    You need to be very selective when choosing a plastic
    surgeon. Structural problems to the nose even after rhinoplasty is also a possibility, and these problems include septal perforation, sinusitis,
    and an irregularity of the nasal form.

    My site; facial plastic surgeon gainesville ga

  • this domain said:

    If you desire to grow your experience only keep visiting this
    site and be updated with the newest news posted here.