Home » 4 Books, Adult Books, Fiction, Genre, Headline, Historical, Kallieross, Mystery/Suspense, Ratings, Reviews, Romance, Score, Staff, Video

The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig

29 February 2012 No Comment

The Garden Intrigue is the ninth installment in Lauren Willig’s Pink Carnation Series.  In this story we meet an American, Emma Delagardie, and follow her as she gets to know Jane Wooliston and Augustus Whittlesby.  Emma’s childhood friendship with Hortense Bonaparte, Napolean’s stepdaughter, has put her in place to be present for the testing of a new French weapon.  Whittlesby must maneuver his way into Emma’s life, so that he can be invited to the demonstration, and in turn warn the British.

I couldn’t help but fall in love with these characters, as I have in every Pink Carnation novel!  The setting is just as intriguing, if not more so, due to the close friendship between Emma and Hortense Bonaparte.  Taking a trip to Malmaison added suspense and brought the heroine closer to Napolean than any other character has been from past novels.  I really enjoyed the twist that Emma’s American roots brought, as well as the presence of the Pink Carnation herself, Jane Wooliston.

I give The Garden Intrigue 4 books on the bookshelf!

Book Description:

As Napoleon pursues his plans for the invasion of England, English operative Augustus Whittlesby gets wind of a top secret device, to be demonstrated over the course of a house party at Malmaison. The catch? The only way in is to join forces with that annoying American socialite, Emma Morris Delagardie, who has been commissioned to write a masque for the weekend’s entertainment. Even so, it should leave plenty of alone time with Augustus’ colleague (and goddess), Jane Wooliston, who has been tapped to play the heroine. Or so Augustus tells himself. In this complicated masque within a masque, nothing seems to go quite as scripted… especially Emma.

To read an excerpt… CLICK HERE!

To read more about Lauren Willig … CLICK HERE!