Home » 3 Books, 4 Books, Genre, Kallieross, Mystery/Suspense, Paranormal, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Stefanie, Video, Young Adult Books

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

25 October 2011 No Comment

Kallie’s Review:

The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson, is a paranormal-murder-mystery that will keep you entertained and perplexed through the entire story!  The book is the first in a series called ‘Shades of London’.  Rory Deveaux is the main character, and her quirky American demeanor mixed with the ‘proper’ boarding school culture kept me intrigued while the mystery unfolded.

While Rory is busy making new friends and getting accustomed to her crazy classes, a ‘Jack the Ripper’ copycat stalks London.  After Rory unknowingly meets the murderer he becomes fascinated with her.   The ‘protection’ that is assigned to her by the authorities consists of three young ‘officers’.  Between Rory’s school-friends and the friends she makes while seeking out the killer, I found myself wanting more… More back story, more interaction, and more ‘action’! *waggles eyebrows*  LOL!

I look forward to many future cases for the ‘Shadows of London’ to solve!  The Name of the Star gets 4.5 books on my bookshelf!

Stefanie’s Review:

Book Description:

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it’s the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper in the autumn of 1888.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police now believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was with her at the time, didn’t notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.