Home » Uncategorized

The Survivors by Amanda Havard

11 October 2011 No Comment

There are books out there right now that are being reviewed, tweeted about constantly, and altogether-hyped up. Amanda Havard’s The Survivors is not one of those books. It’s published by a smaller, indie press called Chafie Press, and it hasn’t gotten the type of hype I believe it deserves. But don’t let that keep you from reading this book! Once you start reading, you won’t want to put it down. If you’re like me, you’ll NEED to know just what in the world you are dealing with. You’ll think, no-BELIEVE-you know exactly what is going on throughout the book as you read. All I will tell you is…You don’t. You might have some sort of idea where it’s going, but the reality is, the twists and turns will keep you guessing-and second-guessing-yourself. Here’s the synopsis from Amazon:

“In 1692, when witch trials gripped the community of Salem, Massachusetts, twenty-six children were accused as witches, exiled, and left for dead. Fourteen of them survived. The Survivors is the first installment of the tantalizing tales of the fourteen ill-fated Survivors and their descendants, who have been content in hiding for over three centuries. Isolated on a Montana mountainside, only Sadie, the rogue daughter, dares to abandon the family’s sacred hiding place. But no matter how far Sadie runs, something always pulls her back. On a muggy summer night in Tennessee, she witnesses a shocking scene that will change her life forever. It is the first in a sequence of events that will drag her from the human world she’s sought to belong to for over a century and send her back to her Puritanical family and into an uncertain future filled with cunning witches, mysterious nosferatu shape-shifters, dangerous eretica and vieczy vampires, millennia-old mythology, and the search for her own mortality. After all… HOW DO YOU KILL A SURVIVOR?”

Enter into the life of Sadie, a…well, Amanda doesn’t really let you know what Sadie is in the beginning, and I don’t want to ruin it for you, so I won’t go there. Let’s just say…she’s not what you expect. She’s full of mystery, fieryness, and absolutely dripping with money, fashion, and-of course-her own version of sex appeal. But underneath those amazing clothes and aloofness, Sadie is hiding secrets, lots of them. Amanda Havard leads you on a journey to learn and know all about Sadie and her past, present, and future. The pacing is good, the characters are delicious, and the flashbacks keep you wondering just when you think you’ve figured it all out. There is plenty of romance, plenty of beautiful boys, and LOTS of intrigue mixed with danger, magic and mystery.

I’ll admit, I wasn’t sure when Kallie and I received this book while we were at BEA back in May. It’s easy to get caught up in the books that constantly have hype and tons of press. But, that being said, I’m so happy that I read it. I can’t wait for the next installment! There is a sneak peak of book 2 at the back of this book, and it left me on a very cruel and wonderful cliffhanger!

So, yes, I know you probably haven’t heard of this book-but you should have before now. Go grab it. You can get it for your Kindle, on Amazon, etc… Chafie Press has made it extremely easy for you.  There is even music specifically written to go along with this book. You can see one of the videos for the single “Pretty Girl” here. Read The Survivors and let me know what you think!