Home » Book Club, Headline, Kallieross, KPSimmon, Krystal, Reviews, Stefanie

Our Top Summer Reads For 2011!

1 September 2011 9 Comments

September, you’ve once again managed to come out of nowhere.  While you may be packing up those beach towels and bathing suits, one thing that doesn’t need to be put away are our memories of those great summer reads.  We thought we’d share some of the fantastic books we’ve all read this season, and we’d love to hear what you’ve read and loved as well!

Here are our Top 5 (or 6, or 7) Summer Reads, in no particular order :)

Kallie’s Picks:

1. HourCurse… It’s a tie!  Hourglass by Myra McEntire and Tiger’s Curse by Colleen Houck
2. DivergLines… Another tie!  Divergent by Veronica Roth and Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
3. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
4. The Dark Enquiry (Julie Grey Novel) by Deanna Raybourn
5. The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Stefanie’s Picks:
The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen—link to review: http://bookshelfbanter.com/2011/07/25/the-silent-governess-the-girl-in-the-gatehouse-by-julie-klassen/
The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn—here’s a link to my review: http://bookshelfbanter.com/2011/07/07/the-dark-enquiry-a-lady-julia-grey-novel-by-deanna-raybourn/
The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge–link to review: http://bookshelfbanter.com/2011/05/29/the-iron-thorn-by-caitlin-kittredge/
Hourglass by Myra McEntire–This one had me hooked almost from the very beginning. I was surprised by how much I liked it because I wasn’t sure it’d live up to the hype…it did!
Across the Universe by Beth Revis–This is another much-hyped book, and it took me awhile to get around to reading it. I’m glad I did because now I don’t have to wait as long for the sequel! The attention to detail and the mystery that Beth Revis puts together kept me intrigued the whole time I was reading it.
Kelly’s Picks:
1.  Hourglass by Myra McEntire-I LOVED this book! It is one I will reread and reread again. It is gripping and lovely and tension-filled and pretty much just a book filled with yummy goodness. I loved the heroine, and I really loved Michael and Kaleb…sigh… Get ready to wish time travel was possible and you lived in Myra McEntire’s world. You should read this.
2.  Divergent by Veronica Roth-Dystopia genre and so, SO good. You will love this book if you like dystopias. It is well thought out and the world Roth creates is genius. If you liked Hunger Games, you WILL like this. It is fantastic and I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series which absolutely cannot come fast enough for me.
3.  Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz-Wow…just wow. That is really all I can say about this book. It is the first in a series and I am in LOVE with it. Cara Lynn builds amazing tension between the characters and the romance is top-notch. IT’s not over the top romance-I don’t read those-but it is the perfect mixture. You will fall in love with the characters. It is a great urban fantasy/paranormal read. Cara Lynn is amazing, quirky and funny, and an author I just really want to be friends with.
4.  Across the Universe by Beth Revis-Another dystopia genre that is very good. Revis is not afraid to ask hard questions in her writing and make you squirm a little and I appreciate that as an author and a reader.
5.  Wolfsbane (Really the whole Nightshade series) by Andrea Cremer-Wolfsbane is the second in the Nightshade series. I loved Nightshade (Book #1) too but I read that before the summer so… This is a series that I believe could be the next “Twilight” phenonmenom…I love them so much and Andrea Cremer has become a favorite of mine now. I’m a believer in her writing talents and abilities…and I really LOVE these books. This is one of two wolf series I’ve read this summer. I’d tell you this one wins over the other one (which will remain nameless) even though the other one is getting more marketing and publicity. Do I think you should read the Nightshade series?? YES!
Okay, there was one more book that I loved this summer. It is Legacy by Cayla Kluver. Oh my word…this book’s pacing was a little hard for me in the beginning but it picked up about 1/4 of the way through. It is fairy tale meets fantasy meets romance…and I liked it a lot. There are some gripping moments in it, and it is the first book in a series. So good!
Krystal’s Picks:
1.  Tiger’s Voyage by Colleen Houck—I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series!  If you love Twilight, I really can’t recommend it enough.  It has everything you could ever want in a YA series: magic, exotic locales, great mythology, and one epic love triangle.
2.  Bloodlines by Richelle Mead—Really, Richelle an do no wrong in my book.  I love everything she writes, and Bloodlines is no exception.  I really enjoyed getting to know Sydney’s point of view, as well as getting to visit with some past Vampire Academy favorites.  I really don’t want to let these characters go!

3.  Hourglass by Myra McEntire—I totally agree with all of my fellow Bookshelf Banter ladies.  This book is just a fantastic treat.  In fact, it is the only book that makes an appearance on all four of our lists, and I think that just says it all.  And look at that cover!  The story inside is equally as beautiful.

4.  Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares—This is book five in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, and takes place ten years after the last book.  I have to admit, I bawled my eyes out in this book.  It was heartbreaking and utterly fantastic.  Ann Brashares just killed me with this book, and I finished it with a sense of satisfaction and a bittersweet smile on my face.  Definitely my favorite book in this series, and I think it is the epitome of a great summer beach read.

5.  Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready—I didn’t know what to expect with this book, but I was so pleasantly surprised with what I got.  It’s a great paranormal read with refreshingly realistic characters.  Oh, and did I mention there’s a hot Scottish exchange student with a killer accent?  Need I say more?  Can’t wait to read Shift, book two in the series.

There you have it, our top reads of the summer of 2011!

9 Comments »

  • Stefanie said:

    Nice work, Krystal! :)

  • Krystal (author) said:

    Thank you kindly, ma’am ;)

  • kallie said:

    This is a great post! All of the covers are so pretty!

  • best hair care products yahoo said:

    For the depressions of the skin (also termed scars) resulting from acne, there isn’t a good OTC medication. To achieve the best results, become more proactive with the appropriate professional services and products for your
    specific condition, have a hair care analysis performed and get a personalized consultation. Have
    Some Much more Derm – Organic Care For The Locks.

    my site … best hair care products yahoo

  • fake tan jenna marbles said:

    Find a company that handles every aspect of a woman’s appearance, including make-up, hair, dress style and body language.
    Sun Labs also provides a lot of individual self tanning and fake
    tan products that you can sell to your clients as they
    walk out the door. Some Sun Laboratories Spray Tan Solution products
    contain Aloe Vera as well as certain botanical extracts.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post: fake tan jenna marbles

  • nose job okc said:

    There are now select plastic surgeons that offer affordable payment plans
    on their plastic surgery procedures for their clients.
    Some of the popular cosmetic surgery procedures – notably the
    head lift – are popular attributable to aging skin circumstances accelerated by experience of the sun.
    Some proper money movement and a breakaway from the Dolphins
    could land the tackle in an offense far better suited for his talents.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog … nose job okc

  • facial plastic surgeon wayne nj said:

    Facelift surgery will help you defy age and enjoy an attractive and more
    youthful facial appearance. Though plastic surgery gives results quicker than other means
    but you need to have patience. This massage also encompasses the beauty facial techniques making this a
    wonderfully relaxing massage to receive.

    My weblog facial plastic surgeon wayne nj

  • capillus hair said:

    Hair removal in some areas is essential to replace the areas where its
    growth has stopped. These use a number of techniques to move
    the natural oils down their hair such as boar bristle brushing and
    ‘scritching’ between washes. Your hair protected the top
    of the head from the elements.

    My web page capillus hair

  • fiberglass dock box used said:

    Good bye for now, look for our next piece of writing, coming shortly,
    from FLAT Rigs outriggers, shock cord snubber, and rigging kit.
    Adding a pinch of baking soda to tomato sauce will reduce the acidity.
    Anyway, after all that the judge abruptly stated that he
    found me to be an expert in my field and asked both attorneys if they had any objections.

    My page fiberglass dock box used