Home » 4 Books, Book News, Fandom, Fantasy, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

20 April 2011 No Comment

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Wolfsbane (ARC) by Andrea Cremer… When it arrived in the mail, I dropped EVERYTHING and began reading!  I should preface this review and let you know that I adore Nightshade, the first book in The Nightshade Novels.  After the cliffhanger at the end of Nightshade, I could not get Wolfsbane in my hands soon enough.  We were all left with so much turmoil and confusion, and I knew it would more than one book to answer all my questions!  I tried to tell myself that Andrea could not possibly resolve everything in Wolfsbane, but I kept my fingers crossed.

Wolfsbane did not disappoint when it came to character development… We are introduced to a whole new group of characters, the Searchers, and I found myself liking them as much as the Nightshades and (some) Banes.  Andrea is obviously still building the story at the beginning of Wolfsbane, so there is some patience needed to become informed about the ‘other’ side to the Witches’ War.  Calla is confronted by a group of Searchers, and is faced with the issues truth and trust.  With Shay’s help, they are able to work together and learn about the Searchers, as well as the Scion.

There is less action in Wolfsbane, but the story is filled with emotional uproars.  Calla consistently questions her decision to leave Ren and the other wolves, as well as questions her ties to Shay.  She also questions where her loyalties lie, and whether the Searchers will be loyal to her and Shay.  Andrea Cremer does a great job of threading us through the lives of the Searchers, while Calla is getting answers to the questions we all share at the end of Nightshade, and the questions that pop up as we read Wolfsbane.

When the action does ensue (and it does!), it is intense and full of twists and turns!  It kept me reading late into the night!  I was frustrated at first, because Wolfsbane left me aching for more, similar to the way I felt after reading Nightshade…  BUT, I also realize that the story did what it was intended to do.  The second book in a series is not going to have a pretty bow tying up all the loose ends. Wolfsbane adds to the already exhilarating story that Nightshade began.  I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THE THIRD BOOK NOW!  Yes, there were answers in Wolfsbane.  Yes, there are MORE questions.  In the end, I will be coming back for more because I love story, and the characters that Andrea Cremer has created.

A huge thanks to Penguin Publishing!

I am sticking with 4 books on the bookshelf!  A good read, but I am definitely still itching for the third book and some resolution!

This is a review from NightshadeNexus.com, a sister site of Bookshelf Banter!

Book Summary

This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended.Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she’s certain her days are numbered.

But then the Searchers make her an offer,one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.

Learn more about Andrea Cremer, and her books at her website!

Andrea Cremer spent her childhood daydreaming while roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin. She now lives in Minnesota, but she thinks of her homeland as the “Canadian Shield” rather than the Midwest.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. When she’s not writing, Andrea teaches history at a very nice liberal arts college in St. Paul.

In the little spare time she can find, Andrea stares up at trees, rescues infant rabbits from predatory cats, and invents names for pug puppies with her husband. She has an unfortunate tendency to spill things – white carpets beware!

Her debut novel, NIGHTSHADE, the first of a YA fantasy series, will be published in fall 2010 by Penguin (Philomel)

You can also check out more about The Nightshade Novels at NightshadeNexus.com!