Home » 4 Books, Author Interview, Fandom, Fantasy, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff, Young Adult Books

The Dark Divine Novels

19 April 2011 No Comment

I just finished reading the second book in The Dark Divine Novels, The Lost Saint, by Bree Despain.  This is a series that any werewolf fan will love… I’m not a huge werewolf fan and I loved it!  So, that tells you how good it is!  There is a third book being released in December 2011, so keep that in mind if you decide to start reading them.

The Dark Divine is a story about family and love. The story explores what a person would give up for one or both of them.  Grace Divine is faced with the difficultly of trying to juggle both love and family, and deciding if one is more important to her than the other.  To add to the conflict, Bree has thrown in best friends, high school and werewolves!  I have to admit that I was leery of starting a new series… Especially because the third book won’t be released until December.  I am so glad I picked up this book!  The Dark Divine had me reading fervently to find out what would happen next.

After finishing The Dark Divine, I jumped right into The Lost Soul.  The second book in this series was not disappointing!  I could not believe how quickly I was drawn in, and teased by the characters!  The series has proven to be intriguing because the characters are constantly growing and making choices that I may, or may not agree with.  I will warn you, once you get pulled into the story you won’t want to be pulled out… And, it was hard to read the last lines of The Lost Saint, and not be able to continue into the third book right away!

If you love the books I love, then you will love these novels!  You can check out more about Bree Despain at her website, and learn more about her books!

I give The Dark Divine Series 4 books on the bookshelf!

Bree rediscovered her childhood love for creating stories when she took a semester off college to write and direct plays for at-risk, inner-city teens from Philadelphia and New York. She currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband, two young sons, and her beloved TiVo. The Dark Divine is Bree’s debut novel.

Question and Answer:

What is The Dark Divine about?
The Dark Divine is a modern exploration of the Prodigal Son with a paranormal romance twist. To find out more, click here.

Where did you get the idea for The Dark Divine?
I like to say that The Dark Divine was born out of a perfect storm of ideas, thoughts, and memories that had been brewing over a few weeks time.

It all came together while I was riding in the car on a dark January night in 2005. It was shortly after I’d read the

book Speak, watched the showBuffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time, listened to the song Such Great Heights by the Postal Service over and over again, and was asked to teach a lesson about the concept of grace at my church. I was thinking about all of these things, along with a random memory from the 9th grade, when we stopped at red light and I looked up at a billboard in the dark and suddenly this conversation between a brother and a sister popped into my head. The brother was warning his sister to stay away from their former best friend. “He’s dangerous. He isn’t the person he used to be. You have to promise to stay away from him.” And that was when it all started. . .

What was that random 9th grade memory?
Let’s just say that one of the scenes in the first chapter of The Dark Divine is partially autobiographical. Ask me at a signing sometime, and I might tell you the story.

What is The Lost Saint about?
The Lost saint is the continuation of The Dark Divine and starts where the first book left off. For a full synopsis, see here

Will there be a third book in the The Dark Divine series?
Yes. Bree is working on it now and it is scheduled for release in December 2011.