Home » 5 Books, Adult Books, Fiction, Krystal, Ratings, Reviews, Romance, Score

“Breaking The Rules” By Suzanne Brockmann

12 April 2011 No Comment

I just finished reading the 16th installment in Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series, Breaking the Rules, and I am going through a little bit of a mourning period.  I love Suzanne’s books soooo much, and I always feel a little down when I finish one of her books, because I know I’m going to have a long wait till the next one.  Here is a description of Breaking the Rules, taken from her own site:

Izzy Zanella wasn’t looking for another reason to butt heads
with his Navy SEAL teammate and nemesis, Danny Gillman.
But then he met Danny’s beautiful younger sister, Eden. When
she needed it most, he offered her a place to stay, a shoulder to
cry on—and more. And when she got pregnant with another
man’s child, he offered her marriage. But Eden’s devastating
miscarriage shattered their life together—and made the intense
bad blood between Izzy and Danny even worse.

Now Eden’s back, on a mission to rescue her teen brother, Ben,
from their abusive stepfather. Even if she and Izzy can prove
that their broken marriage is still in one piece, winning legal
custody of Ben is a long shot. But they’re not alone: Danny
and his girlfriend Jenn offer to help, and he and Izzy agree to
bury the past and fight for Ben’s future.

As they plan their strategy, Izzy and Eden grapple with the raw
passion that still crackles between them—while Danny and
Jenn confront new depths in their own rocky relationship. But
events take a terrifying turn after Ben befriends a girl fleeing a
child prostitution ring. When the young runaway seeks refuge
with Eden and Izzy, her pursuers kidnap Ben—and a deadly
standoff begins. Now, they must all pull together like never
before and strike back, swift and hard, to protect their
unconventional little family and everything they hold most
precious.

What I love most about Suzanne Brockmann’s books is her inclusion of important social issues, as well as the diversity of her characters.  She creates such amazingly real and unforgettable characters, ones you root for, cry with, and want happily-ever-afters for.  They’re three dimensional, and represent a full-spectrum of people, including a variety of ethnic groups, sexualities, shapes, sizes, you name it.  I have been following this series for years, and, as this is number 16, I’ve grown quite attached to everyone involved, which is a luxury you don’t always find in books.  I like not having to let go of characters I love!  I also really love Suzanne’s inclusion of pop culture references, including Buffy, classic films, and, in this latest installment, Twilight.  Leave it to Izzy to know the difference between Team Edward and Team Jacob ;)

I know this is book 16, but if you want to start at the beginning, I highly recommend the first Troubleshooters book, The Unsung Hero.  They are all a great mix of romance and action, and I can’t recommend them highly enough.  I am a total Brockmann fangirl!