Home » 4 Books, 5 Books, Blog Tour, Book News, Brand New On The Bookshelf, Children's, Children's Books, Contest, Genre, Headline, Kallieross, Middle Grade, Mystery/Suspense, Ratings, Reviews, Score, Staff

Secrets, Spies & Sherlock Blog Tour

4 March 2014 6 Comments

Welcome to Day 7 of the SECRETS, SPIES & SHERLOCK BLOG TOUR, featuring two exciting new middle grade mystery series: Sherlock, Lupin & Me: The Dark Lady by Irene Adler and Secrets & Spies: Treason by Jo Macauley. Each stop on the 2-week tour will feature fun posts and a chance to win a set of finished copies of the books!  Today’s post features The Dark Lady by Irene Adler.

Excerpt from The Dark Lady

I saw that Sherlock had searched inside the man’s jacket pocket with the driftwood and had pulled out two large stones and a soggy piece of paper. It was a note. Lupin picked it up. I put my hands over my mouth. Although the ink had run, you could still read what was written on it.“The sea will wash away my guilt,’” read Sherlock.I stepped back and looked around again. But this time I saw someone at the other end of the beach. He was wearing a blue cloak that completely hid his face and was standing in front of the trees between the beach and the trail we’d followed that afternoon. He seemed to be looking straight at us.Terror washed over me like a wave. I pointed at him and screamed with all my might, “Let’s go!”Lupin and Sherlock sprang to their feet. I wasn’t sure if they’d also seen the hooded figure, but my scream had certainly frightened them. All three of us started to run as fast as we could along the beach, and we didn’t stop until we reached the gates to the town.Once we were there, we leaned up against the stone wall, which was still warm from the late afternoon sun, and let ourselves slide down onto the ground, all of us panting.“What happened?” asked Lupin, when he finally managed to catch his breath.“There was a man,” I said. “A man wearing a blue cloak with a hood. A hooded man by the trees.”Sherlock closed his eyes. “Are you sure?” he asked.I nodded, still gasping for breath. “He was looking at us. At us and the dead man.”“The man with no name,” said Sherlock. He opened his hand. He’d brought the note they’d found in the dead man’s pocket.Thoughts swirled through my mind like swarms of mad bees. What should we do? Who should we tell? Had anyone else seen us? And who was the mysterious figure who’d been spying on us?“We do nothing,” said Lupin, as if he’d been reading my mind. “We do nothing and say nothing. We were never at the beach. We didn’t see a body.”

“Our footprints are all over the sand,” said Sherlock.

“The tide’s coming in,” Lupin said. “It will cover them.”

Sherlock nodded. “But the fact remains that someone saw us,” he said, pointing in the direction of the beach with his chin. “And they were undoubtedly close enough to see our faces.”

“We’re not sure anyone was even there,” Lupin said, briefly glancing at me.

“He was there!” I insisted. “I’m sure of it!” “You’re probably right,” Sherlock said.

“So what do we do?” I asked. “We have to tell someone!”

Lupin shook his head. “No. We’ll wait to see if the hooded man says something. Otherwise, we don’t do a single thing.”

“And you think the man I saw will tell someone?” I asked.

Sherlock stood up, casting a long shadow over us both. “Lupin’s right. If this mystery man goes to the police, within a few hours everyone in town will know about it all anyway.”

“And if he doesn’t?” I asked.

“Well, in all probability, Irene, it will mean that you’ve just seen the murderer,” he concluded grimly.

END
Enter below for a chance to win The Dark Lady, as well as a copy of Treason by Jo Macauley!

GIVEAWAY

a Rafflecopter giveaway

***Stop by Candace’s Book Blog tomorrow for the next stop on the SECRETS, SPIES & SHERLOCK BLOG TOUR and another chance to win!***
Secrets, Spies & Sherlock Blog Tour Schedule:
February 24th: The Dark Lady at The Write Path
February 25th: Treason at I Read Banned Books
February 26th: The Dark Lady at Buried in Books
February 27th: Treason at Loves2Read
February 28th: The Dark Lady at Akossiwa Ketoglo
March 3rd: Treason at GeoLibrarian
March 4th: The Dark Lady at Bookshelf Banter
March 5th: Treason at Candace’s Book Blog
March 6th:  The Dark Lady at Through the Looking Glass
March 7th: Treason at Unconventional Librarian

About Sherlock, Lupin & Me: The Dark Lady by Irene Adler:
While on summer vacation, little Irene Adler meets a young William Sherlock Holmes. The two share stories of pirates and have battles of wit while running wild on the sunny streets and rooftops. When Sherlock’s friend, Lupin, joins in on the fun, they all become fast friends. But the good times end abruptly when a dead body floats ashore on the nearby beach. The young detective trio will have to put all three of their heads together to solve this mystery.

REVIEW

5books
I (Kallie) found Sherlock, Lupin & Me to be a great introduction to the quirky and fascinating character, Sherlock!  I’ll be passing this along to my daughter (who is in 5th grade), and I know she’ll  adore Irene’s point of view.  Challenging vocabulary, problem solving, and a strong female who spurs Sherlock into his early detective days, are all reasons I loved the novel and plan to pass it on!

About Secrets & Spies: Treason by Jo Macauley:
Fourteen-year-old Beth Johnson is a talented and beautiful young actress. She is also a spy. The year is 1664, and Charles II is on the throne, but all is not well in the bustling city of London, and there are those who would gladly kill the king and destroy the Monarchy. One morning, a mysterious ghost ship drifts up the Thames. Sent to investigate by the King’s Master of Secrets, Alan Strange, Beth quickly finds herself embroiled in a dangerous adventure. Will Beth be able to unravel the plot to kill the King before it’s too late?

6 Comments »

  • hcg weight loss clinics in chicago said:

    Losing weight is not about going from one diet to another but making healthy choices a part of
    your lifestyle. The physique of the pregnant woman starts to build HCG from the early stages of pregnancy.

    There is also an eating regimen that you will have to follow very closely.
    So if you are looking to lose 50lbs, you will need to break that into two full rounds (43 days each).
    These hormones keep us young, bio-identical hormones may
    help and are hot the traditional H. You will definitely lose pounds and inches by following their guidelines and menus.

    If you need to order pre-made distressed house cabinets, it’s advantageous to check out a cabinet maker yourself.
    Additionally, you can use a system that will help
    you accurately time when you are most likely to conceive.
    Snack- Protein Shake – Dinner-the same as lunch plus one small handful of melon.
    They are less obvious to take than the drops or the Injections.

    Here is my blog :: hcg weight loss clinics in chicago

  • un code promotionnel said:

    Hello to every body, it’s my first go to see of this
    blog; this website carries awesome and really good
    material in favor of readers.

  • descuentos en vueling said:

    Hello to every body, it’s my first visit of this web site; this weblog
    includes remarkable and actually fine stuff for readers.

  • clases de zumba online said:

    Right now it appears like Drupal is the best blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

  • annuaire inversé hollande said:

    I go to see day-to-day some websites and information sites to read articles,
    except this blog provides quality based writing.

  • szalart said:

    What i don’t realize is in reality how you are not really much more smartly-appreciated than you might be now.
    You are so intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly on the subject of this matter, produced me personally
    imagine it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested until it’s one thing to
    do with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. At all times take care of it up!