Home » 4 Books, Fandom, Headline, Melissa, Reviews, Young Adult Books

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

12 November 2013 3 Comments

the raven boys maggie stiefvater

This book was such a happy surprise.  Although I have read and loved all of Maggie Stiefvater’s books, this latest series was not something that appealed to me from the book blurb.  Fortunately for me, a quick visit to my BFF’s bookshelf, convinced me to give it a chance and I am so glad.  I could not put this book down.  Every twist and turn was a surprise for me.  I can’t figure out where the story is headed and I love that.  The story of Blue and her Raven Boys is an adventure into the paranormal that leaves the reader excited for more.  (Confession: I drove to starbucks on my lunch break to connect to the free wifi to buy book 2 because I could not wait until the work day was over to see where the story was headed.)  With that said, I will say that the writing style can be a little difficult at times and the point of view is not what I typically prefer for this kind of story, but all of that is completely overshadowed by the creativity and excitement of the storyline.

4 Books on the Bookshelf

4books

SUMMARY:

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

3 Comments »

  • Lari Don said:

    I’m delighted to find another Maggie Steifvater fan! I had enjoyed Shiver etc, though I found them a bit light and a bit soft-hearted, but when I read Raven Boys, I felt like I had discovered my new favourite author (though to be fair, I do discover new fave authors several times a year!) I particularly love the complexity and darkness of the male characters, and the wonderful pointlessness of Gansey’s quest. Great review – I’ll be back to see what else you love reading soon!

  • northern california sacramento golf said:

    I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you
    aren’t already ;) Cheers!

  • maidstone wedding photographer said:

    If some one wants expert view concerning running a
    blog then i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this
    web site, Keep up the good work.